For those with Sat-Navs, used postcode WC1H 9JZ for the front of the building. Limited parking may be available on-site. Anyone wishing to park at the BMA should contact the Reception directly.
BMA House is located in central London near several underground
stations and bus stops.
The nearest underground stations are:
– Euston (Northern and Victoria lines) – distance to BMA House is 0.3 miles.
– Russell Square (Piccadilly line) – distance to BMA House is 0.3 miles.
– Euston Square (Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith and
City lines) – distance to BMA house is 0.4 miles.
– King’s Cross St Pancras (Circle, Hammersmith and City, Northern, Metropolitan and Victoria lines) – distance to BMA House is 0.5 miles.
The nearest mainline train stations are:
– Euston distance to BMA House is 0.3 miles.
– King’s Cross St Pancras – distance to BMA House is 0.5 miles.
The nearest bus stops are right outside the building:
– Bus numbers 59, 68, 91, 168 and N91 stop in front of BMA House.
Visit to the Theosophical Society Building
Saturday, 21 January 2023
10am to 12 noon
British Medical Association, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9JP
Meeting Place: Outside the main entrance on Tavistock Square.
At a meeting of the Executive Committee of the Theosophical Society in March 1911, it was agreed that Mrs Besant’s suggestion to build a headquarters was essential. On 6 August 1911 the Executive Committee announced that Sir Edwin Lutyens would design and supervise the new building for free.
In September 1911 Mrs Besant wrote to the members to advise them that the Society intended to build one large hall and four smaller ones on the Tavistock Square site. On 1 April 1912 the Theosophical Society announced proudly that ‘our architect’ has been appointed to lay out the new city of New Delhi. With the outbreak of the First World War and the realisation that the Society could not afford a building on such a scale as originally hoped, only half of the building was built. Suddenly all work on the building stopped around 1914.
The War Office occupied the new buildings at Tavistock Square from September 1917 until Christmas 1921. The Government had purchased the complete site from the Theosophical Society in October 1919. The Theosophical Society had spent £93,000 on their incomplete building and the War Office went on to spend another £17,570 in September 1917 after requisition to ‘complete the building to Sir Edwin Lutyens’s design and to meet War Office requirements’.
The British Medical Association bought the building from the Government in 1924. Sir Edwin was brought back by the BMA to renovate the building. However by mid-1925 the BMA found that although they had allotted a further £50,000 for completing the interior, Sir Edwin spent over £60,000 and even then the roof of the Great Hall was not finished so the BMA called a halt to the work.
Price: £10 per person.
(Non-member tickets are also available with an additional charge of £5 for a day-membership).
Please make your booking online through PayPal using your credit / debit card or PayPal account.
Click here to add your own text